OCC Bulletin 2021-43| September 13, 2021
Problem Bank Supervision: New Comptroller’s Handbook Booklet and Rescissions
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks, Federal Savings Associations, and Federal Branches and Agencies; Department and Division Heads; All Examining Personnel; and Other Interested Parties
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) today issued a new "Problem Bank Supervision" booklet of the Comptroller's Handbook. This booklet is part of the Examination Process series of the Comptroller's Handbook.
The "Problem Bank Supervision" booklet
- replaces "An Examiner's Guide to Problem Bank Identification, Rehabilitation, and Resolution," dated January 2001.
- incorporates OCC Bulletin 2018-33, "Prompt Corrective Action: Guidelines and Rescissions."
Note for Community Banks
The "Problem Bank Supervision" booklet applies to the supervision of community banks.1
The new booklet
- includes information regarding timely identification and rehabilitation of problem banks and advanced supervision, enforcement, and resolution when conditions warrant.
- includes a comprehensive discussion of the OCC's authority under 12 CFR 6, "Prompt Corrective Action."
- complements other booklets of the Comptroller's Handbook and topical OCC and interagency issuances.
Please contact Michael Brickman, Deputy Comptroller for Special Supervision, at (202) 649-6450.
Grovetta N. Gardineer
Senior Deputy Comptroller for Bank Supervision Policy