CRA Qualifying Activities Confirmation Request
The OCC regulations provide a detailed list of criteria for determining whether a loan, investment or service qualifies for credit in a bank’s Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) examination under 12 CFR 25.04 of the CRA final rule, published on June 5, 2020 (June 2020 rule). If you represent a bank or other interested party that is a stakeholder in a bank-related activity that you believe qualifies under CRA, you may use this form to request the OCC's review to verify qualification. This form is designed to accept information on only one activity. Confirmation of an activity for CRA purposes is not a determination of legal permissibility, and the OCC reserves the right to separately determine whether an activity is legally permissible. If you represent a financial institution, you must ensure that the activity is legally permissible before engaging in it. You must submit a separate form for each activity for the OCC's review.
1) Before You Submit a Request
- Review the qualifying activity criteria in 12 CFR 25.04. If the activity is clearly consistent with one or more of the qualifying criteria, you do not need to submit a request for confirmation that your activity qualifies.
- If you are unsure whether the activity is consistent with the criteria in 12 CFR 25.04, review the OCC's CRA Illustrative List of Qualifying Activities (PDF) to see if a similar activity is already listed or the activity is essentially the same as a listed activity. If you find an example that is similar to your activity, you do not need to submit a request to the OCC for confirmation of your activity. If you do not find an example that is similar to your activity, you may submit a request.
2) If the Activity Is Related to an OCC Supervised Bank
If an OCC bank requests the review, please provide the OCC charter number(s) and official bank name. You can find this information for an OCC bank on the Financial Institution Lists.
3) Before Submitting a Request, Gather the Information You'll Need
- Your complete name.
- A phone number where we can reach you.
- Your email address.
- A complete postal mailing address, if the submission is made by postal mail.
About the Bank or Interested Party
- Bank name and charter number, if your request is submitted by or related to an OCC bank.
- The name of the interested party, as applicable.
About Your Request
- Description of the activity as you would like it to appear in the CRA Illustrative List of Qualifying Activities (PDF).
- Short title or short description of the activity that will be used when OCC publishes the decision related to your request.
- Supporting information needed to explain why you believe the activity qualifies under 12 CFR 25.04 of the June 2020 rule.
4) How to Submit Your Request by Email
To submit your CRA Qualifying Activity Confirmation Request by email:
- Open and save the fillable form before entering any information.
- Click the “Open Confirmation Request Form” button below.
- Save the file to your computer.
- Open the file from the saved location.
- Complete the fillable form electronically.
- Include supporting documentation as attachments where indicated in the form.
- Be sure to complete the required fields before submitting the form.
- Submit a separate form for each activity you choose to submit for the OCC’s review. The OCC will review and determine qualification of one activity per form.
Email the completed form to input_CRA@occ.treas.gov.
- Do not submit more than one form per email.
- Do not include separate attachments in the email. Attachments must be added where indicated in the form.
The OCC considers forms received when they are received and processed by the OCC’s Qualifying Activities Submission processing unit.
If you submit the request by email, do not also submit copies by postal mail.
5) How to Submit Your Request by Postal Mail
Alternatively, you may download or print the CRA Qualifying Activities Confirmation Request Form and submit the completed form by mail, along with any attachments, to the following address:
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Attention: Compliance Risk Policy, QA Submission Processing Unit
400 7th St. SW, Mail Stop 7E-11
Washington, DC 20219
Forms sent via postal mail may delay receipt and processing of your request. The OCC considers forms received when they are received and processed by the OCC’s Qualifying Activities Submission processing unit.
If you submit the request by postal mail, do not also submit copies by email.
6) Questions About Request Submissions
Email us with questions at QAConfirmationRequest@occ.treas.gov or call us at (202) 649-5470.
7) What Happens After You Submit Your Request?
Confirmation of Your Request
- The OCC will confirm receipt of your emailed or mailed request to review the activity described in the CRA Qualifying Activities Confirmation Request Form and provide an identification number (ID) unique to your submission.
- We will send confirmation of receipt to the email or mailing address that you provided in the form.
- Forms are considered received during regular business hours Monday through Friday (excluding federal holidays), between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm ET.
- The OCC will notify you not later than 60 days from the date of this notification about whether the activity is consistent with the criteria in 12 CFR 25.04. The OCC may extend the period of review for an additional 30 days. We will notify you of any extension and provide the new date for completion of the OCC’s review.
- The OCC may determine that additional information is needed to determine whether the activity is consistent with the qualifying activity criteria in 12 CFR 25.04. We will notify you of the additional information needed and advise you of any additional submission steps.
- The OCC will publish its determination in a decision list to be published on occ.gov. An example of the activity may be added to the OCC’s CRA Illustrative List of Qualifying Activities (PDF), as determined appropriate by the OCC.
Withdrawal of Your Request
- If you choose to withdraw your request, please send an email to QAConfirmationRequest@occ.treas.gov and include the submission ID specific to your request provided in the confirmation notification.